July 13, 2006

Becoming an SQA

I was six years into it and was loosing my passion!

Looking back, I think, it was the sheer volatility of technology, which I had witnessed, had made me to loose interest in it. I had seen technology advancing with such a speed, that before I could be satisfied with my own understanding of one aspect of it, the projects demanded another aspect to be understood, mastered and delivered in time and as always, the delivery date was ‘yesterday’.

The term, ‘I want it yesterday’ is so commonly used in projects that it almost amounts to its abuse. It was as good as saying all issues needed to be fixed yesterday and today was day to freak out!!!

For me it had lost its significance for none of the cases I came across, were so critical that it demanded the usage of this phrase. There were instances in abundance, though, when it was (mis)used to build up pressure on the development teams. It was a typical case of using “Urgent and Important” phrase in the subject of almost every email and then loosing the significance of importance and urgency of the emails.

With no passion for technology and the associated work, I decided to give up on technology and pick up something else in the IT projects. However I had no idea of what it could be.

And there I was disillusioned and wandering.

I recall the period after this move as one of the most uncertain and confusing. It was in this aftermath of my decision, I came across an opportunity in the Quality function to work as SQA. I grabbed it. It was a reluctant move, based primarily on intuitive thoughts, a friendly advice and the fact that there was no better alternative available.

Four years down the line, I am glad I did it. Being an SQA for around three years was an enlightening experience. It was a defining period of my IT career. It gave me room for creativity. This was so beautiful experience. Being able to apply theory with my own thoughts!
Indeed appears a childish statement however this is the most simplistic expression I can think of!

I have enjoyed my role thoroughly which has involved lot of interactions, application of interpersonal and communications skills. While relationship building became a day to day task, the role demanded incredible display of communication skills, problem solving, handling escalations, articulation of issues and most importantly, personal integrity. Though the CMM skills were necessary requirement, a continuous touch with the QMS helped me to keep my knowledge relevant to the organization’s requirements.

At a personal level, I owe a long list of friends to this role.

Based on whatever understanding I have developed, in a series of brief articles, I will try to explore the demands of SQA role.

No comments: